Born: 30 September 1791

Died: 2 November 1847

Map Location: 51


Inscription is largely derived from the reflectance transformation image of the marker (2014) but has been supplemented [in square brackets] with a 1930 photo – see below.

[LT] Col. of the [Royal] Engineers
Who Died [at] Kingston
NOV [2ND] 1847
He entered Military Life at an Early A[ge]
[Ser]ved the British Government In
Various Parts of the World;
[With Zeal] and [Fidelity] Upwards of 38 years
His Two Daughters

Who Died a[t the] Ages
OF 5 & 18 YEARS

Further Information and Sources

Colonel Sir Richard Bonnycastle, 1791–1847 (Toronto Public Library)

Colonel Sir Richard Bonnycastle, 1791–1847 (Toronto Public Library)

Burial register includes Bonnycastle’s title – “Sir”

Long’s Sketchy History of St. Paul’s Church lists Bonnycastle’s marker in the 1937 inventory (pg 45, #51) noting that “the stone is built into the foundation of the Parish Hall, and can be seen at the door leading to the furnace room.”  Notes from Angus and Preston in 1955 state that “This stone is now partially obscured by stairs.” (pg 43)






Footstone for R.H. Bonnycastle gravesite with his initials and the initials of his two daughters.

Footstone for R.H. Bonnycastle gravesite with his initials and the initials of his two daughters.

Based on the stone with initials “R.H.B.” “F.B.” and “C.A.B.” that is still under the church hall (a footstone?), it is possible that Bonnycastle’s marker was moved to the east end of the church hall in 1875 when the church hall was built, was still there in 1937 (Long) and 1955 (Preston and Angus) and moved again to the south wall of the connection between the church hall and the church, where it now (2016) rests.



Marker for Sir Richard Bonnycastle (from Canadian Geographical Journal, (November 1930) vol 1, no 7, pg 580)A photograph of Bonnycastle’s marker appeared in an article titled “Kingston: Past and Present” by Frank Yeigh (Canadian Geographical Journal, vol 1, no 7).  Fortunately the inscription is quite readable even from the photograph in the journal and was used to supplement the information from the reflectance transformation image.  At the time of the photograph Bonnycastle’s marker would have been mounted on the east wall of the church hall, near the door to the furnace room.

Digital Kingston (accessed 2016-03-05) has a large number of newspaper references to Richard H Bonnycastle including his obituary in the British Whig, 6 Nov 1847, pg 2, col 6 (accessed 2016-03-05).

The Dictionary of Canadian Biography (accessed 2016-03-05)) has a full biography written by G.K. Raudzens for volume 7 which describes Bonnycastle as an “army officer, military engineer, artist, and author.”

Both of Richard Bonnycastle’s daughters, Frances and Catherine Ann are noted on the inscription but Frances is not listed in the burial register and so is probably buried elsewhere.