Map Location: 51
IN MEMORY OF
SIR R.H. BONNYCASTLE KNT
__ Col. of the _____ Engineers
Who Died ___ Kingston
____ NOV__ 1847
AGED 56 YEARS.
He entered Military Life at an Early A__
__ved the British Government In
Various Parts of the World;
____ _____ and ____tics Upwards of 38 years
His Two Daughters
FRANCES & CATHERINE AN
Who Died a__ Ages
OF 5 & 18 YEARS
Further Information and Sources
Both of Richard Bonnycastle’s daughters, Frances and Catherine Ann are noted on the inscription but Frances is not listed in the burial register and so is probably buried elsewhere.
Long’s Sketchy History of St. Paul’s Church lists Bonnycastle’s marker in the 1937 inventory (pg 45, #51) noting that “the stone is built into the foundation of the Parish Hall, and can be seen at the door leading to the furnace room.” Notes from Preston and Angus in 1955 state that “This stone is now partially obscured by stairs.” (pg 43)
Based on the stone with initials “R.H.B.” “F.B.” and “C.A.B.” that is still under the church hall (possibly a footstone), it is possible that Bonnycastle’s marker was moved to the east end of the church hall in 1875 when the church hall was built, was still there in 1937 (Long) and 1955 (Preston and Angus) and moved again to the south wall of the connection between the church hall and the church, where it now (2016) rests.